FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!
View Single Post
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:44 am
Occupationalhazard
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by robb
Uh-huh, and if they said "No black blood" or "No jew blood" you'd feel the same about using FlyerTalk to promote it?
Spare me the drama. If there were a rational basis for such exclusions, then I wouldn't have a problem with them. If we have arrived at a point at which there is no longer for gay men, then I am fine with the removal of the ban. *shrugs*

Question: do you think there should be *any* deferrals for the possible presence of blood borne pathogens?

This is not about getting my own way. This thread is offensive every time it's bumped.
First, I am not sure people have a "right not to be offended", and, second, if you find blood donation "offensive", I think you have a point, if you think that blood donation is a good thing, and gays should not be excluded from the pool of eligible donors, then, I'm sorry, but it very much smacks of, "Waah! It's my ball and I'm going home!"

Many universities and businesses are withdrawing support from blood drives for the very reason of the discriminatory nature of the deferral policy.
I suspect there are other factors involved, i.e. Political correctness and pressure tactics.

As others have pointed out, getting blood is a profitable and corporate thing. The entire system needs to be overhauled, and until it is, I don't think that FlyerTalk should be supporting it.
Either you think there is value in donations or your do not. If, like Clincher, you do not, then say so. If you do, and then, AFAIAC, you don't have a leg to stand on.

O/H