FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sleeping Aids which keep you asleep rather than get you to sleep
Old Aug 21, 2007, 9:03 am
ralfp

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
I find they can be OK for mild sleeplessness, but that prescription sleeping tablets like zopiclone are much better. And if the recommended dose of Nytol/Sominex doesn't work, taking more is a mistake: you will be very drowsy when you land.
Some tranquilizers, like Valium, aren't too bad for doing exactly the opposite of what you want: putting you to sleep, but not really keeping you asleep after a couple of hours if you are disturbed.
I still think you'd be better off seeing a GP.
Zopiclone (and eszopiclone, i.e. Lunesta, in the US) is a good choice to keep you asleep, as it has a longish half-life for a "z-drug". Zaleplon (Sonata) is a bad choice. It gets you to sleep, but only lasts a couple of hours. Zolpidem (Ambien) is available in the US in a controlled release form, which is also good for keeping you asleep.

I wouldn't use diazepam (Valium), as its half-life is quite long: on the order of days. In the US you might find it harder to get a doc to write a script for a benzo than a z-drug.

Interestingly, Sominex in the US is different from Sominex in the UK. In the US it's diphenhydramine, but in the UK it's promethazine. Both are anti-histamines.

Instead of melatonin, one could try ramelteon (Rozerem in the US). However, like melatonin, ramelteon is not good at maintaining sleep (only getting one to sleep).

Note that I am not a doctor.