FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Must Travel Blurry Eyed
View Single Post
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:48 pm
Dominion

Must Travel Blurry Eyed

Ok so I haven't left yet, but this report has me nervous, a friend of mine who in joining the same program as me in Germany left a couple days ago, a week and some before I leave. She flew out of BNA on the first leg of her flight to Germany. She like me wears contacts, and as we will be in Germany for the next 6 months she had a years worth of contacts. This isn't a lot, 2 full boxes (sealed with prescription info) and 1 box with one case missing, same info on the outside. the missing case was currently in her eyes.

She goes through security and has two bags, one for the standard 3oz items, it's fine, then her other bag is a 1gallon bag containing her contacts, regular meds (not liquid form), and her contact solution, a 16oz bottle I believe (she didn't say exact size just that "its one of those big bottle ya know").

STOP!

He begins to grill her about the bag: "your only supposed to have one bag", "The items are too big" "You didn't declare these items" "why do you have so many packages of contacts", "Do we need to open these to make sure they are whats printed" are some of the highlights.

Boils down to the guy threatens to take away her contacts (a year supply of these contacts are around 500$ before insurance, I have the same brand), contact solution, and heres the kicker, because she didn't declare the liquids, they would have to "....take the rest, just in case..."

Like me she hasn't flown alot but she tends to get a bit hotheaded, she demanded to see a sup, which turned into the SUP and the Leo, and the sup let her take the items.

Moral of the story:

TSA wants us to fly and travel blind now, so maybe more people will be blind to their shifty tactics and 'lackluster' efforts.