FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 747 charter for potential NWA DO: please read and respond to survey
Old Aug 13, 2007, 6:35 pm
GTITAN

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
I understand your plight. Unfortunately, I don't believe NW can afford a charter on WorldPerks redemptions alone. Hence, the more people that could be signed up, the lower the overall cost per person. Of course, if you're not willing to spend one cent, then this event probably wouldn't be for you, anyhow.

I think we must truly understand the gravity of the suggestion that redtailshark is making. Nowhere in the history of FlyerTalk or any other aviation-themed community that I'm aware of has something like this actually happened. FlyerTalk potentially has the member base and the ingenuity to pull something like this off and it could be memorable, moreso than a retirement flight. This would be our flight. Ultimately what value, if any, we would place on that would ultimately determine our interest I think.

Answers to redtailshark's questions:

1. I like the idea of a Lakeshore/seaside/harborside cookout. If we could price it as sort of an all-in day trip including airfare, meals, drinks, etc. I think I might be willing to go up to $500 or so. For the airfare alone, it would be ideal if it didn't top $300. But if it were an issue of the event being a go/no-go, I could perhaps go 50% more.

2. Yes, and this is probably the most logical and safest way to do it.

3. It would be interesting to see how the cost structure would be related to the destination. I think San Diego, San Francisco, or Seattle would be wonderful destinations for a day-trip event with NW. Otherwise, closer to home, Duluth (don't knock it until you've been there) could offer a much more Northwoodsy feel and a more intimate setting, and perhaps be cheaper to swing.

This is a really great idea. I hope that it could gain some traction so that we could start dealing with real numbers to see if it's even possible to do.
Red Tail Shark, thanks for spearheading! To answer your questions:

1. Would be willing to put in about 500 to 600 all in.

2. No problem.

3. Anywhere would be fine. Depending on where the activities were and when it was would play a big role for me for location. MEM might be a good choice if done in winter. The upper mid-west is fine in summer!