FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How about the negotiations about an entry into an alliance?
Old Aug 13, 2007, 7:21 am
Moranguinho

Programs: TK Elite Plus; LH M&M SEN; Hertz Presidents Circle; IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by AAEXP
I don't agree. I think you read safety records like the devil reads the Bible.

In an incident on February 8, 1979, a Bandeirante crashed near the town of Agudos killing all 18 people aboard. This was the first accident with loss of life for TAM.
On July 4, 1984 a second Bandeirante crashed in poor weather on approach near Macaé, killing all 17 people aboard.
On February 12, 1990 a F-27 aborted its landing, striking houses and a car outside the airport of Bauru. The 2 occupants of the car were killed.
On October 31, 1996, TAM Linhas Aéreas Flight 402 crashed shortly after take-off from Congonhas, striking an apartment building and several houses. All 90 passengers and 6 crew members on board died. Three people were killed on ground. The crash was attributed to a faulty thrust-reverser in the right engine deploying after take-off.
On September 18, 2001, the right engine of a Fokker 100 broke up during flight over Belo Horizonte, sending shrapnel into the cabin and depressurizing it. One passenger died.
On August 30, 2002, Flight 3084, a Fokker 100, was forced to land at a farm near Araçatuba after running out of fuel due to a faulty indicator gauge. The gear-up landing's only victim was a cow on the ground. No passengers were injured.
On the same day, another Fokker 100 made an emergency gear-up landing at Viracopos airport. Shortly after the incidents of August 31, TAM announced its intention to immediately reduce its fleet of Fokker 100 and phase out the type completely within three years.
On August 8, 2006, the forward airstair of a Fokker 100 separated from the aircraft just after the plane took off from Congonhas, hitting the roof of a supermarket in São Paulo. No one was injured in the accident, and the aircraft landed shortly after.
On July 17, 2007, Flight 3054, an Airbus A320, registration: PR-MBK, on a flight from Porto Alegre with 186 passengers and crew[3], overran the runway at Congonhas airport, crossed a major thoroughfare and impacted against a TAM Express warehouse.198 bodies have been recovered from the crash site, including passengers and others on the ground.[5] This is considered to be the deadliest airplane accident in Latin America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TAM_Lin...ts_for_Success

This is one of the worst safety records in civil aviation of the last 30 years. You can deny these facts, but the facts will remain facts. Nevertheless, I wish you the very best look for your futere flights with TAM. I still will avoid them until a safety culture of international standard will take place in this airline.

BTW: This issue was already discussed in another topic.
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...azilian&page=2

So what are you saying? That the LH (or UA or AP for that sake) people looked at TAM and despite what they saw in terms of flight safety, they decided to go with TAM as a partner
This might be your interpretation. My question was, wether or not this accident may have an impact on the ongoing negotiations. As you surely know, until now, only letters of intention are signed.

Who needs yellow press when they have Moranguinho
I would recommend you to check the offical LH releases concerning the beginning of negotiations about the partnership with Ethiopian Airlines regarding bad press and passengers opinion about partner airline´s safety.