FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trying to gauge if there is enough interest in this petition
Old Aug 9, 2007, 1:08 pm
sc flier

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
As this is marketed as an elite benefit, I agree that it would be nice if elites could opt out of it across the board if they never want a newspaper.

I dislike it when I get extra unwanted newspapers because of my elite status. When I get the WSJ, I usually only read the front page. I rarely want the hotel's local newspaper. At home, I only get the paper on the weekends.

When I do opt out of it upon check-in, I agree that my request rarely gets observed. However, it was long ago explained to me by a lawyer that this ability to get opt out for a credit is there for anti-trust purposes -- not because the hotels are being considerate about your wishes. This issue is not unique to Starwood.

I suspect that this might develop into just an "I hate USA Today" thread, though.

I've had more than one check-in agent tell me that I was the first person that had ever requested to get the credit on my account for not getting the paper. It's not a very common request.