FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Schneier on Security
View Single Post
Old Aug 3, 2007, 12:37 pm
law dawg

Originally Posted by exerda
I can't imagine it would actually hurt the airlines to have published the stats on real, honest-to-god "bad guys" who have been stopped from boarding planes via the asine no-fly list.
What is the perception of "bad guys" trying to get on the plane by Joe and Jane Citizen?

"They" are still out there looking to get us and flying probably isn't worth the risk.

"Look how much safer you are, thanks in large part to our cooperation in helping the feds screen passengers against the no-fly list!"
Or "no news is good news." Maybe? That's my take on it.

Just like publishing crime stats makes people think things are perhaps worse than they would have had they not heard anything. Ignorance is bliss.

The problem is, the "several a week being a low-ball" figure Kip spouted is either (1) an outright lie; or (2) a deliberate misrepresentation, meaning several a week are stopped, but are clearly not a real threat. As Bruce asked, why are these guys, if they're so dangerous, not being arrested or charged with anything?
Some have been that I know of, whether or not they all add up to the levels portrayed here. Others are suspicious but don't do anything actionable. They commit no crime, but are still not acting normally.