Old Jul 26, 07, 9:14 am
Keith009

- Which route/airline did you book and which class?

BKK-SIN (SQ)-AKL (SQ)-NAN (NZ)-AKL (NZ)-SIN (SQ)-BKK (SQ) (but had to cancel eventually )

MEL-AKL-PVG-AKL-MEL - all NZ

All in C

- How many pax and how many award miles?

1 pax, 90k each

- How many days/weeks/months did you book in advance?

5 months and 7 months respectively.

- Have you been able to book your preferred dates of travel?

Had to tweak my travel dates a little for the first one - ANA tool shows different availability for NZ segments to what M+M had.

Got exactly what I wanted for the 2nd one.

- Were you happy with the award booking procedure (e.g. online/by phone)?

The first time round I naively called the Australia hotline - was an experience I'd rather forget.

2nd time round I called the SEN line in Switzerland - very helpful agent. Only annoying bit was when NZ rescheduled and left me with an illegal connection. LH couldn't help me with talking to NZ, but a call to NZ myself resolved things in my favour. Don't the different airlines have liaisons to *A that talk to each other to resolve these things?

It's a pity M+M is so inflexible with the zone system, which more direct options via SIN/BKK to North Asia a 3 zone award and resulted in the backtrack to AKL to get to PVG (or via SYD/ICN on UA/OZ) to stay '2 zone.' My other FFP AAdvantage has several exceptions to get around limited direct flights between 2 regions, for eg the ability to go from South Pacific to North Asia via South East Asia (and no not talking about 'oneworld awards') for the same amt of miles.