FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Our credit card machine is broken
View Single Post
Old Jul 22, 2007, 9:32 am
Stefan Daystrom

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
Originally Posted by FLgrr
Willie T's in key West gave me the Broken Machine routine on July 1. They came up with the manual card swipe machine and hand wrote it, not trying to force me to try to pay cash. That and the oher dine I had there a few days earlier (and a valid reward day) still have yet to appear. Since I save all receipts until charges/miles post, I contacted Rewards Network. Time will tell still. That can take several weeks.
On other other hand, I ate a couple months ago at Four Olives in Long Beach CA and they said their regular card machine had just run out of paper and did the manual swipe. It posted fine. Then I ate again a couple weeks later, and got the regular machine receipt, and that didn't seem to post.

I have to say "seem to" because something very strange happened. Only a day or two after I sent in my email about the missing dine (which was before the "10 days" were up), a post for the exact same amount on the exact same date came through for a restaurant hundreds of miles away where I'd never been, then a negative post for the same restaurant later came through, and finally the missing post showed up correctly as Four Olives a week later.

Anyway, my point is, you can have manual swipes that post and normal card machine processing that doesn't post, even at the same restaurant.

(I've had misisng posts eventually at about half the restuarants that I've dined at many many times, but the missing posts tend to be a fraction of the dines, but sometimes are a couple dines a row, presumably because of a technical issue that needs to be looked into.)