FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Southwest Celebrity Sightings
View Single Post
Old Mar 20, 2004, 1:07 pm
ctuttle

Programs: DL Gold, UA Ag Muti-year WN Companion Pass, A+, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Ntl EmExElite
My guess is you probably will not see a lot of celebrities on Southwest as if they are flying Southwest they probably are trying not to be noticed. If I were famous and didn't want to be noticed, I'd fly on Southwest so I wouldn't be flagged as a "VIP"

On the other airlines many times I hear the people giggling at the desk about who the VIP is on a certain flight. Some I might not have recognized had I not heard the name. I wouldn't call political types celebrities but I hear a lot of their names mentioned as being on the VIP lists. If I am seated next to them if they are polite I usually acknowledge who they are.. Senator, Governor, etc and then make it obvious that I'm not going to bother or talk their ear off. If they are the annoying Do-you-know who I am types I do the you look familiar routine and then name something totally off base, such as aren't you that local weekend weather guy on channel 2, or You're that guy that sells used cars on TV late at night, right?

I did see a true celebrity on a Southwest flight out of Austin, it was Herb. He had a third group boarding pass as I did and when they offered to get him with the first group. He said he was in the third group and would board as his boarding pass showed.

All the time employees kept going up to him, shaking his hand, and talking to him. This was after he had retired from Southwest, but he really knew how to work a room, or I guess I should say an airport.

I wonder if Robert Crandall ever flew on an American flight, if so I'm sure it was NEVER in coach, and not in boarding group 5.