FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Yea! UA planes are full. The strategy is working. Why do I feel so bad?
Old Jul 3, 2007, 4:50 pm
fastair

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by FF_Parrothead
It's like planning a factory to run 100%. It's not realistic to sustain that level, and when something does go wrong, it is very expensive to get back on track.

Just my $0.02.

Six Sigma...what % perfect is that? It is virtualy 100% (by any normal statsitical measure.) Do you think that UA leaders read those books?

Originally Posted by BigE
What I'm scratching my ahead about is how we can have the triple combination of full flights, high fares, and poor UA financials.
Did you not see UA restate their 2nd 1/4 estimates 2 weeks ago? They scaled them up, not down.

Originally Posted by tjl
For a non-elite, it is probably worth it to pay 10-30% more to fly some other airline besides UA, due to UA's delays.
Like B6? B6 had problems with their regional jets for 6 months causing terrible delays, then they had their winter meltdown, then they had computer failure that made UA's look like NOTHING, thne they had the "fear" of east coast storms this week and proactivly cncld flights for the storm that didn't really happen (I don't fault them for that...it didn't pay off this time, but it IS the right thing to do.)...UA delays? I think you need to read your BTS stats. UA is by no means near the top of the list...It IS the summer...summer has delays for everyone. B6 and DL both cncld tons of flights last week, so did NW. UA has not had these issues any more than any other airline (let's leave the Hawaiin airlines out...they are in a different class.)

Originally Posted by vsevolod4
Not to mention virtually no cheap and lengthy flights in July with which to take advantage of the triple miles promotion earned last year.
wow...I got 4 posts in a row (addressing what I see as I read)

Do you think that maybe that is why the 3x miles promo is in July instead of January where you can get uber-cheap fares, and 3x the miles?

If you ran a company, when would you "pay" people to buy your product...when you can charge a lot and get a positive margin, or when the person traveling is going to barely cover their incrimental costs? Sounds like a smart promo to me!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 3, 2007 at 11:23 pm Reason: merge