Old Jul 3, 07, 7:26 am
Brattflyer

Yea! UA planes are full. The strategy is working. Why do I feel so bad?

Because I can't afford to fly UA anymore.

A month ago I tried to get a return flight three weeks in advance for my weekly commute BDL-IAD. The flight had been downsized to a 50 seat CRJ-200. The flight was full. As a 1K I could have got a Y seat just to be loyal to UA for $800 one way. I decided to fly US out of DCA for $250.

Last night I was trying to find a flight IAD-MSP a month out. I'm going to an event and admittedly want to fly at 5:00 on a Friday. The direct IAD-MSP had been eliminated 2 months ago. Flight sold out. Again I could force Y for $1500+. Instead I prudently chose to fly non-stop on NW for $475.

My last six flights were all on US at under half the UA price. No E+, but I can upgrade for $50 almost anytime I want to. I'm at 62 UA segs. for 2007 and will probably limp through to 1K for 2007 by flying US. And I feel bad about it.

UA is not in business to meet my individual needs, their strategy is successful, and if I can't afford their flights that are twice as expensive as their competitors then that's too bad.

But somehow something does not feel right about this. Is UA's strategy really working or will it come back to bite them at the next business turn down? Will their loyal customers come back when the fares go down. Who's buying these high priced fares a month in advance? Is there anyone else who's been priced off UA?

Last edited by Brattflyer; Jul 3, 07 at 7:34 am