View Single Post
Old Jul 2, 07, 1:54 pm
  #8  
samikitty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SAV
Programs: HHonors: Diamond, DL: Plat
Posts: 244
Originally Posted by gilpin View Post
If at all possible, it is usually better to identify the flight you'd like on another carrier and verify its availability yourself first.
I agree, and I actually tried that to get on an alternate airline 8:45 flight, after we deplaned from the hydraulic leak issue. Had my wife verify seats available. Unfortunately, the flight had been dispatched in the system, and SMS was unaware that the flight had returned to the gate at the time I called. They refused to rebook me on the alternate airline, suggesting I would be "better off" to remain on the flight I was on.

I also tried very early on to get on an AirTran flight from SAN to ATL that did have seats available, but since DL does not have a reciprocal agreement with AirTran, they refused that as well.

Again, I was much more accepting of the delay (mechanical or otherwise), until I realized that the sole reason for my delay was a complete failure of the Delta maintenance operations team, by dispatching a plane that should have been grounded.
samikitty is offline