FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - From One Extreme to Another: My Journey From Adak, Alaska to Ushuaia, Argentina
Old Jun 28, 2007, 3:43 pm
Ripper3785

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
March 25, 2007
Adak Island to Anchorage via AKN
Anchorage to Fairbanks
Alaska Airlines Economy Class
737-200 N742AS Flight Time: :2:27 / :42 / :41

Although this Trip Report starts in Adak, my travels actually began earlier in the day when I boarded N742AS, one of two remaining 737-200s that Alaska Airlines still flies. Alaska won’t be flying them much longer, however. Thursday, March 29th will mark the final revenue flight for Alaska’s 737-200s. After that, it’s off to storage in the California desert until some third world carrier returns them to service or they get scrapped out for parts. The “Baby Boeings” or “Mudhens” as Alaska crews affectionately call them have provided reliable freight and combi service to rural Alaska destinations for nearly thirty years. My first flight on an Alaska 737-200 came in 1984. Since then I’ve logged thirty-two flights aboard Alaska’s models, only once in a pure passenger configuration. I’ll be sorry to see this little workhorse go, but happy to know that at least three or four of Alaska’s fleet are young enough to escape the scrapper’s torch for at least another few years.
Seat 2A,

You may be happy to hear that N742AS is now in service for Aloha Airlines out here in the islands. So, no desert or third world country for a while longer. She's a full pax config now. Rode her on Sunday.

Ripper