FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airlines bristle at sale of vouchers
View Single Post
Old Mar 23, 2002, 12:55 pm
Worldtraveler36

"Southwest, like most airlines, prohibits sales of its vouchers, but does allow customers to give them away. This loophole makes them among the most trafficked vouchers online. Sellers online will say they are selling Southwest "beverage coupons" or envelopes, and as a freebie they will throw in a free round-trip ticket to wherever Southwest flies. That way, they don't break Southwest rules. "

>>> I know of a Southwest employee who "sells" buddy passes in this manner. It is the drink coupon that she is selling for $200 or whatever. The B/P is free .
I am assuming that she knows that she can be fired for doing that. (she is not alone)

Ok, my take, in case anyone is interested.
The airlines do have a right to police their own products. The miles belong to them and they created the program. What scares me more( and I think I would have a heart attack if they did this, not LOL - so many miles!!!)
is that they could always discontinue the programs-FF if they are being abused. A friend of mine has over 800K NW miles.

We should have had a red light go on after 9-11 to not keep such high balances. For some reason, USAirways was my concern, although now that is only 30K. It would still hurt to lose the 30K- a free trip in Business within Europe.

On the other hand, I don't like the airlines, or my employer, my neighbor, the gov't, or anyone else policing what I am doing in my private time. E-bay is a private thing, and I don't want the airlines snooping around in there. In fact, E-Bay and perhaps Flyertalk!? should set up more private screens to protect the customers, posters. Could an airline take revenge on a FT poster for writing a negative post on them?

Obviously, have different e-mail addresses!!! Don't use the same e-mail that you use on E-bay as your registered address at an airline. Sorry, but that is just plain (stupid) and I will bet that someone does that, then they will find you, for sure.

I think that we need to be allowed to have individual rights to buy/sell on the net and not be told what to do by the airlines. It is different if you are an employee, as I have friends who are airline employees and they are very careful what they say/do out there. AA is probably the biggest watchdog out there.

What do you think?

------------------
Michael
AA PLT,1 MLN Miles+
HH GLD, SCI GLD, MM SIL
LE PRESIDENT ETERNEL DE CAMAIR-CAMEROUN AIRLINES