FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Baggage allowance as a GO?
View Single Post
Old Jun 25, 2007, 2:29 am
Guy Betsy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by kchika
I'll be flying LHR-HKG in Y in 2 weeks, and I have been told that I have 30kg allowance. Knowing that I might have a lot of stuff to carry, I have been trying to increase my baggage allowance without paying. I called MPO, the CSO told me to redeem a voucher with miles. Then I called CX res, the answer was a straight no. This is the first time in years that I will be taking excess baggage with me, so any tips on how to avoid being charged for excess baggage? ^
How much more do you intend to take?

MPC or CX res will not help you even if you're DM!

The only people to help you increase your baggage limit are the CX sales people - in CX offices. You have to go speak to some of them or get your TA to talk to them and give them a reason why you need the extra limits.

I moved from LHR to SIN way back in 2000 and even though was travelling in F, both MPC and CX res would only allow 40kg. That's it. I was close to having 70kg then.

It was only through a contact at CX in LHR that I got in touch of some CX personnel. They knew who I was, and they basically said do not call CX res. They will put note on my PNR and advise LHR check-in. So on day of departure, I was well taken care of. I checked in 4 bags totalling around 80kg!

However, the check in is now done by AA these days, and I don't know who you can call nowadays.