FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Max range of SAS 767's ?
View Single Post
Old Nov 26, 2003, 3:52 am
bjerregaard

Programs: EBS
The-Longhauler
I flew the CPH-HKG route in late november 1998
About GRU and SIN it is from my memory, but I have found this link
http://www.scanliners.com/sas/saschx.htm

the text:
Boeing 767 -
When SAS started looking for new longrange aircraft in the latter part of the 1980s, the main competition was between the McDonnell Douglas MD-11 and the Boeing 767-300ER. SAS actually ordered (optioned) 12 MD-11s, but that commitment was later cancelled in favour of the Boeing 767-300ER. One can speculate that the MD-11 was probably a bit too large for the Scandinavian market at the time. It was later shown that the MD-11 did not meet the performance specification (the range was 6-7% short of expectations).
The Boeing 767-300ER was a good fit for SASī needs at the end of 1980s and the beginning of the 1990s. It was then chosen as the standard longrange aircraft. Unfortunately, neither the 767 fullfilled the specifications, mainly due to less efficient PW4060-enginges than anticipated. This caused payload- restrictions on the longest routes to Asia.
SAS also ordered a couple of 767-200ER for the long nonstop routes to South America and Singapore, but these operations were soon abandonned due to lack of profitability. The South American routes were taken over by VARIG, and Singapore was routed via Bangkok.

[This message has been edited by bjerregaard (edited Nov 26, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by bjerregaard (edited Nov 26, 2003).]