FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SAS recommends not to fly starpartner Austrian ??
Old Aug 22, 2003, 5:57 am
House

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
[QUOTE]Originally posted by The-Longhauler:
[B] Thank you, House, but this discussion is AFAIK not about award seats..
SAS seems to recommend people to fly via SIN/BKK to Earn staralliance miles/points.
But if this flights really are very full (they seems very popular) , maybe SAS is only doing them a great favour diverting full paying (business class passengers) customers to SIN/BKK ?

I agree that the Eurobonus people do seem to have a bit of a dislike for LH/OS! I was using award availability as an indicator of general popularity of the route. I really do think that the OS flights sell themselves, as the only European *A carrier flights to Australia. LH does serve SIN and BKK of course, and OS serves BKK. There may be a strategy of trying to set aside the OS flights for Europe-Australia traffic (full fare tickets would be very lucrative on this route), and sending passengers originating in KUL to BKK/SIN instead.

Also, connecting with the outcound flight from VIE-KUL from Scandinavia is likely to require an overnight stop in VIE (departure time from VIE is around 10am). TG, on the other hand, serves CPH-BKK and ARN-BKK with convenient departure times, meaning that it is possible to fly TG to KUL with just one connection in Asia. There is also the historic ownership link between TG and SK of course.

[This message has been edited by House (edited 08-22-2003).]