FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Drunken lawyer on a flight - nothing good can come of this
Old Jun 13, 2007, 12:47 pm
law dawg

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Geez, what a moron...but some questions...

1) how did the get that much liquor past the sharp-as-tacks TSA screeners?
He could have bought them in the sterile area? Maybe?

2) why are air marshals involved in this fiasco at all? Nothing this idiot did onboard would be grounds for them to expose themselves, intervene or be involved in any way
Reading this it didn't seem like they were onboard the flight, but part of the group who responded upon landing. But the article was not clear.

That said, FAMs are federal law enforcement and, right, wrong or indifferent, have to enforce the law in the air. They're not just counter-terrorism folks. Unless they have reason to believe that exposing themselves would endanger their primary mission of protecting the integrity of the flight they have to enforce federal law, and this would be part of it. But if they felt it was benign enough to not intervene then they could wait to land and then press charges. Its up to the team in question how to act.

Regardless the guy violated federal law and has charges coming. FAMS enforce federal law, particularly those involving civilian aviation.

3) if the idiot was acting like this, why didn't the crew restrain him to the seat with the plastic cuffs, or why didn't the Capt. divert to have him removed? JAX was a scheduled stop, not a diversion according to the article...if the Capt. was so upset at this behavior, he should have ordered the pax restrained and then diverted, if necessary...otherwise I have little sympathy for Capt. Southwest's bellyaching.
Good question.

Anyway, I hope this moron does both long, hard time and gets hit with the maximum fine.

Also, assault and battery charges against him for touching the minor child are missing from the list...he should be charged with that as well.
I agree, but that would be a state charge, and up to them to pursue.