FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best Luggage
Thread: Best Luggage
View Single Post
Old Jun 9, 2007, 10:02 am
aktchi

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by DTS
Has anybody experience with the Briggs & Riley #224?
In quality it should be exceptional. I own B&R #235X instead, whose design I find a little more versatile. If your life has room for a duffel, look at Safari Beano series by Red Oxx. Abslolutely top notch quality and unmatched color choice! Links given in post #9 just above.

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
I had an FBI agent tell me once that expensive luggage is like helping the theives pickout which bag to steal.
I avoid expensive-looking luggage (and clothes, watches, cameras, etc, see below). Avoid snobby brands for sure. You get double whammy with names like Pierre Cardin: the luggage is poor-quality, the name might attract thieves. Red Oxx, Briggs & Riley, Boyt, etc make great luggage but the names won't say much to thieves.

To be fair, however, it is not just your lugagge, but overall appearance and demeanor that can mark you as a target: Fancy clothes, shoes, watches, cell-phones, jewelry, expensive photo-video gear visibly dangling from shoulders, freely talking about your shopping excursions, etc. I am surprised how many travellers like that I come across. The art is to look and act normal.

I travel with a $15 Casio watch and a great $800 camera which is basic black and looks like any $79 point-and-shoot to all but the most knowledgable photographers. I found the best luggage values in $175-$250 range (actual floor prices, not "suggesed retail"), but to casual observers they would probably not appear any different from generic $39 pieces.

Last edited by aktchi; Jun 9, 2007 at 11:39 am