FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [CLOSED] Sheraton Catania, Sicily, Italy [Converted to a Four Points] [Master Thread]
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:26 am
NeoOfTheCRS

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
July 2006 Stay

I stayed at the Sheraton Catania about one year ago. I enjoyed the hotel, and it was a fine stay. However a few observations about Catania, the area and the hotel.

1.) There isnt' that much to do in Catania. Short of visiting Mount Etna and coming back to walk around town, two days max in Catania is plenty here. The city is in a state of economic decay so it looks a bit rough around the edges, but we didn't feel unsafe and did go out at night.

2.) As a platinum member, I received a nice sized room with a very small patio but with a very nice view of the ocean and thereby the sunset.

3.) Catania is not a beach town, there is an oceanside but it is rocks butting up against the sea. At the hotel, you can take a walkway across the main road to the seaside and there is a platform there with beach chairs but the ocean lapping against the platform with the green outdoor faux grass had a really fishy smell to it and we quickly turned back to the pool.

4.) Speaking of the pool and the pool area. This was our favorite. It is not much of a serious swimming pool, but very much enjoyed taking a dip. There are lots of beach chairs around the pool and this is where we spent most of our relaxing time

5.) Dining: We had excellent meals in the outdoor dining area around the pool. Fabulous local wine grown in the volcanic ash soil that is typical around sicily and catania. The hotel food, as expected, is pricier than outside the hotel.

6.) What's nice about the location of the hotel, there is a local pizza/spaghetti restaraunt and a gelato bar just a few feet across the road from the hotel. Both are right by the sea so it is scenic and you can escape the pricier hotel food, it is a good casual dining option.

7.) Hotel services: Parking is not free. There is no self-park as we know it in the US, the garage is under the hotel and is casually staffed. They will give you a claim ticket (be sure to keep this as auto theft is a serious problem in catania). Generally, the keys were kept in the ignition so if you want to be really proactive and get the parking guys attention, just walk toward your car in the garage, waive your ticket at the parking attendent and drive away.
Getting a shirt ironed: There is no iron in your room and there are no free ironing services. You will come away from this experience about 8 Euros lighter once they charge you and you tip to get them to bring your shirt back in a reasonable amount of time.
Getting Money and Shopping There are a few stores, a jewelry store a travel agency and an ATM which are attached to the hotel in a small courtyard outside of the lobby. Very convenient for getting more money if needed.

8.) Communication: The hotel staff's english was pretty bad. The parking attendents spoke virtually no English. This didn't bother me as I speak enough italian to function, but if you don't, it could be a problem. Overall, English seemed to be in short supply in Sicily.

9.) Annoyances and quirks: If you get a room facing the ocean, you will get all the noise from the road and the dance club to. Italians aren't the quietest of people. The dance club and the associated noise of people coming, going, honking and yelling at each other routinely kept us up pretty late, especially on the weekends. Elevator to the pool: The elevator to the pool was ill-tempered at best. Alternating between dead as a door nail and angrily grunting or trying to cruch us with randomly closing doors. Opening/Closing hours Be aware, that unlike in some major cities like Rome, Milan and Florence, Catania adheres to the tradition of shutting down many store mid-day. Its a very Italian thing to do, especially in smaller cities in the south, just plan accordingly that the pharmacy and other services won't be available from 11am to 4pm approx.

10.) Summary: Catania and the Sheraton are fine, especially if you are just passing through for a night or two. The value for the stay does not exceed 150-180Euros a night. If I were to go back, I would probably opt for an agriturismo hotel in the countryside or near mount etna and definitely travel more around sicily. I found the area around mount etna to be very interesting with some interesting stops and quite a few reasonably priced spas to take advantage of.

Last edited by NeoOfTheCRS; Jun 6, 2007 at 9:36 am