FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Am I Insane for Considering ANC During July 4th Week?
Old Jun 5, 2007, 9:34 am
FlyForFun

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
Since you are planning to stay in the Moose Pass area, I have a few suggestions of fun things to do. You can head to Cooper Landing (a short distance away on the Sterling Highway) and take a float trip. We saw scads of bald eagles, a moose, and lots of salmon (it may be too early for salmon but someone else can advise). The hike to the Russian River Falls is easy and you may see bears (especially if the salmon are returning). There are also some easy hikes in the Russian River and Kenai River area.

Exit Glacier is woderful. My 72 year old father managed the hike last Septemer and he was recovering from chemo. You can almost touch the glacier (we did see people doing it but thy had to stretch over a barrier). We have seen black bears in the Exit Glacier trail area (one actually hopped on the trail about twenty feet from us), mountain goats or sheep, and bald eagles. Exit Glacier is the star attraction. You get great views from a variety of angles.

I have seen your lodging choice from the road; it looks ok and the price is good.

The Kenai Fjords cruise is a great option; you will not be disappointed. As I and others have said - take the longest cruise possible. We have taken cruises on Major Marine, Kenai Fjords, and Reknown. All were excellent. Our captain on our Reknown cruise was participating in a research project so we got to observe and count stellar sea lions. He was one of the best captains and naturalists; he is especially noteworthy because he has no hands.

Since you are arriving late, you may want to consider the Spenard Hostel. It is very near the airport; you cannot find a cheaper place. They also offer shower facilities (at a cost of about $5) if you want a shower before your flight home. I may be wrong, but I have never been able to locate shower facilities at ANC.

The Eagle River area, just north of Anchorage has great hiking trails; they also have float trips (I have not done one here so cannot comment). The Chugach State Park surrounding Portage Glacier has some great trails for glacier viewing. If you want a great photo opportunity take the road towards Whittier and stop in the parking area before the toll tunnel. The scenery is spectacular.

In the Anchorage area there are tons of things to do. Potters Marsh is on the Seward Highway just south of Anchorage; there is a boardwalk and wild life viweing opportunities. Beluga Point also south of Anchorage is an area where whales are seen; I've not seen a Beluga yet but hope to. There is also a bay that has amazing tides. You can also spot Dall sheep in these areas. You can see these areas either to or from you drive to Seward.

Earthquake Park is near ANC; we saw a moose in the parking lot.

Last edited by FlyForFun; Jun 5, 2007 at 9:39 am Reason: added more info