FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Report Your Gold Upgrade Successes
View Single Post
Old Jun 3, 2007, 11:34 am
EWR ATC Hold

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador (lifetime Platinum), Avis Presidents Club
Plenty

I've had plenty of "gold" upgrades at SPG properties. I've been platinum for each of the past three years, was downgraded to gold this year because I just wasn't travelling as much last year, and will be platinum again next week (way too much travelling this year). I find that the "gold" upgrades are best at properties that I have stayed at frequently over the past few years and current years. For example (all as Gold):

Sheraton Greensboro: Often upgraded to their "presidential suite" (they have like 500 of these standard rooms with brass fixtures), but still an upgrade w/ club access, etc.

Sheraton Greensboro: Occasionally upgraded to their true suites (at least 2 or 3 times) generally on shorter stays.

Sheraton Austin: Upgraded 100% of the time to the club floor--never upgraded to any special rooms.

Additionally, I've been upgraded this year during a few point stays:

Sheraton Moorea (French Polynesia): Garden Bungalow to overwater bungalow (this one took some talking/complaining though, but it was my honeymoon, so well worth it).

Westin LAX: Club floor (no special room).

As a Platinum previously and now a Gold, I quite frankly do not see significant differences in the upgrades, with the exception of occasionally getting some of the nicer suites (especially at resort/luxury collection properties). But truthfully, at the hotels that just have a club floor with few special rooms, the differences seem to be moot.