FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My WBC strategy ... advice?
View Single Post
Old May 30, 2007, 2:25 pm
avidflyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by BigLar
OK ... I'm looking to get 3 WBC tickets to Europe about a year or so from now. Current situation - I'm a Silver and have about 225K. If the current gig keeps up, I'll be GE by late summer, and PE by Fall. I'll also have more miles than needed ... then.

My first thought was: Forget it -- it's never been done.

However, there have been rumours of people actually doing just that, so I gave it the ol' college try.

By applying what I've learned here, I was able to find a few segments with 2 seats, and there are probably some with 3 (the TA stuff is all I'm really worried about). But, I don't have the miles right at this moment, and I don't even have the dates nailed down.

Would it work if I got the 2 J seats that I have miles for right now, and then get a coach seat in a couple of weeks or so, and then keep checking to see if another J seat opens up? Would it be possible to upgrade (w/miles) at the gate? (A friend of mine claims he did just that on a trip to Rome a couple of months ago)

Would it help if I become a plat at the time I'm doing this upgrading? Sorry for the questions, but every flight I've taken on NW has been paid and I'm not sure how the award stuff works.
You have done well. While multiple C award seats are not quite a mythical as you may be led to believe, the timing can be. My advise: Do exactly what you have proposed and do it quickly. You are all safley on the flights and you can montor availability from here on out. Once you are plat there is no change fee so it is a simple phone call to convert your Y seat to a biz seat. BOOK TODAY! And good work! Think about how tough this stuff would be without FT