FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Noticed a Button campaign this weekend
View Single Post
Old May 29, 2007, 2:14 pm
avidflyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by motytrah
This is somewhat big news if the pilots are actively supportings the FAs. For the most part NW has been able to walk all over the FAs because the Unions didn't support each other during BK. The general view of business analyists is NW can replace FAs pretty easily. Sure you could get some bad days of chaos, but the bean counters seem to think the labor cost reduction would be worth it. However, if the pilots joined a chaos campaign it could cripple the airline. You can't just wave some money into front of laid off regional pilot and put them in the captains seat of 747.
Yup, That is what scared me about it. This particular captain was talking about "doing our part but it is time we get some back" (underscore WE). The angle was Top level "greed" so I think there will be some solidarity on this. We will see over the next few months and I did overhear the FA's talking about getting everyone to wear these buttons so it sounds like they are getting ready for something. These people, for the most part are very reasonable level headed folks who want to make this work. I HOPE NW management, who I actually think have done a pretty good job, can close the deal on the FA issue. It will take creativity and a piece of the long-term pie but it can be done.