FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - To Liberia with Brussels Airlines (SN)
View Single Post
Old May 20, 2007, 7:48 am
Arnur

Programs: TK Elite, LH FTL
Monrovia-bound..

06 June 07 SN 235 Brussels - Monrovia 1040 - 1750 A330 Seat 42G

For the Africa network, SN operates a long distance fleet of some four A330 operating in a two class layout. Unfortunately, I failed to take any pictures, but I promise to do that on the return flight. Today's flight would be operating via Dakar in Senegal and the plane was fairly full. Gambling on an empty seat next to me, I had chosen an aisle seat in the center block, as the 2-4-2 configuration meant that window seats would probably have a seat neighbor. After the business class passengers had boarded, coach passengers followed in a long line. Newspapers were available at the airplane door.

The interior of the plane was decorated in SN's trademark blue, which I actually find quite stylish. Seat pitch was ok by coach standards and the seat next to me actually remained empty as I had hoped it would. After a quick taxi were on our way to West Africa. The one thing I did not like about the experience was the inflight entertainment (or rather the lack thereof). SN offers the movies via the old-fashioned ceilling-mounted monitors. While this obviously does not compare favorably with the dozens of video-on-demand offering on board of KL and AF on similar routes, I also found the program very poor. During seven hours of total flying time, the showed a grand total of one movie and that was some comedy mostly geared at children. They also had the usual 10-12 channels of audio entertainment, but I opted for my iPod instead.

The inflight service consisted of drinks and nuts, followed by lunch about two hours into the flight. There were only two options (beef or fish) available, but when the cart reached me they were down to beef. So beef goulash it was, served in a surprisingly spicy gravy together with (I think) veggetables and potatoes. In addition there was a limp green salad and forgettable white bread rolls. While the main dish was actually quite good by coach standards, bread and salad were not and no dessert was on the tray. I had some nice South African wine with the meal. After clearing the lunch tray, the flight attendants brought out vanilla ice cream and offered a team/coffee service, as well as liquors. Before arrival in Dakar, where most passengers disembarked, there was another drinks service. On the short, 1.5 hours sector from Dakar to Monrovia there was another drinks service and a cheese sandwitch, probably catered in Senegal.

Arrival in Monrovia was some 30 minutes early and by the time I had passed the somewhat chaotic passport control area, my luggage was alread there and I was out in the African sun a few minutes later. In summary, I think that SN offers a decent enough coach product. Service was warm and friendly, even though I would have appreciated a more substantial snack before arrival. The beers (Stella Artois) and wines on board were decent for coach. Inflight entertainment was a major minus in my book. For niche markets such as Monrovia, I would certainly fly SN again to avoid connections on dubious West African carriers, but I would certainly prefer AF/KL to other African markets.

The next installment will feature various UN charter flights on MIL-8 helicopters and Dash-7 props.