FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Suspicious packages and dumping terminals
Old May 18, 2007, 11:55 am
chobby100

Suspicious packages and dumping terminals

I was talking to a good friend the other day that flies way more often than I do and works in the security world about TSA - security yada yada yada. He brought something up that I guess I never really thought about. What happens when the TSA or baggage handlers find a suspicious package? My answer was get the hell out of there asap and call the bomb squad. He agreed, but made a pretty good case that shouldn't the packages - if possible - be isolated until the bomb squad guys show up? It would both be safer, (he's the guy who always marvels at all the glass that new airports are made of and the potential problem if something were to blow up) and in many cases be able to keep the airports open and the planes flying. (Stick it in the bomb proof device and move it to a safer location for further examination).

Apparently, (he's a cop shop guy) he told me that current technology of pressure vessel based bomb containers makes it kind of impossible to have something at the terminal screening lines or where the checked baggage goes. They are just too big. But, he told me he told me about this small company (saw them at a trade show) that uses different technology that absorbs and contains blasts. They have sold them around the world but they aren't deployed everywhere in the US. Apparently the containers v. the pressure vessel based are smaller, lighter blah blah blah. The company is called Aigis and they are UK based. I took a look at their website, which isn't great, but if the product does what it says it does why aren't airports, airlines, TSA snapping these things up? (OK, I know what the TSA distracters will say and to a large extent I am among them). I'm all for figuring out if there is a problem, but what do you do when you find one?

Thoughts?