FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where do you buy ITA Software itineraries?
Old May 14, 2007, 9:49 am
aktchi

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
Why would anyone do that? ITA's price depends on the exchange rates they have loaded, versus whatever agent has loaded...For me, ITA's price is a reference...Did you check whether ITA's currency rates were up to date? If not, that could explain the $50 ...
I apologize that I didn't notice your post for a couple days. Let me summarize my own viewpoint, which is a little different, and the reasons for starting this thread.

ITA does not view their fare quotes as for "reference" only, whatever that term means to you. Instead, those are publicly published fares, accurate until a few minutes ago, and one should be able to purchase them.

As for the $50 discrepancy being due to exchange rates, I also thought of that, but I have dealt with numbers enough in my life to know that the probabliity is almost zero that exchange rates would lead to an error of precisely $50.00. An even number like that means either (i) ITA missed some new fees, or (ii) AA tacked on a fee of their own.

While $50 is a small amount, and I did buy the tickets, let's remember two points. (i) For a family that needs six tickets it becomes $300 which is a little more substantial. (ii) What if the discrepancy is $200 per ticket next time? By shrugging off $50 as small, we don't learn anything. I was approaching this as a matter of principle, that a published fare should be purchasable. This thread was basically to ask the more experienced members here if they have discovered where to purchase ITA itineraries at their quoted prices

Of course, nobody works for free and I certainly expect the selling agency to add their own fee. However, if I have done most of the work, I'd expect this fee to be small. I found AA's $10 fee reasonable and won't mind paying a similar amount again.

Last edited by aktchi; May 14, 2007 at 10:56 am