FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - spilled juice: compensation
View Single Post
Old May 9, 2007, 2:22 am
euslaner

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by rjque
Why should the seat mate do anything? The FA spilled the OJ, not the seat mate. This is how it should have gone:

FA spills OJ on OP
FA: Oh, I'm so sorry, let me help you get that cleaned up.
[FA gets OP paper towels, etc. to help clean up]
FA: Again, I'm so sorry for spilling that drink on you. Do you think those will need professional cleaning?
OP: No, they are just sweat pants that I wear for flying. It will wash right out.

This is at least how I would have reacted if the FA was actively working to admit fault and fix the issue. If the FA took a "sucks to be you" attitidue, like the FA and purser did here, I might be inlclined to push it further.

The point is that a little good customer service can alleviate 90% of these silly compensation issues. Unfortunately, United does nothing to instill such a culture. Until UA management figures out that it is in a service business, and not just a commodity business, expect these threads to continue appearing.
Presumably most people did not read my original posts. The FA ran away as quickly as possible--and in neither case "offered" a blanket. I had to ask both times and when the FA spilled OJ on me, she was reluctant to get me a blanket. The purser agreed that this service was unacceptable.

Now, after all of you have had your fun ganging up on me and after only a handful of you were even sympathetic to my sitting around in wet pants, are you ready to stop your bashing?

Frankly, I had thought better of most of the posters on the United forum. But these personal attacks make me think twice, especially when United777Heavy felt "compelled" to note:

"Here is a bit of trivia, in 2006, the average home in Potomac sold for $1,033,559."

Sorry, but my home in Potomac would not sell for so much and I would daresay that as a university professor, my annual income is substantially less than almost all of you who post regularly on this forum. This sort of personal insult is uncalled for and says volumes about the sort of person who would launch a personal attack. I await a profound apology from United777Heavy--and from others who launched personal attacks.

I felt that I was treated badly by this FA twice regarding handling a soaking seat and wet pants (all seats were occupied so there was no chance of getting another seat) and I asked for advice. Instead I got insults and more than a handful of gratuitous comments (such as mecabq's statement that the entertainment system is the reason why many people fly UA in C--without noting that the entertainment system on a 777 is exactly the same in Y as in C and that I said I had broken systems on more than one occasion and never thought of asking for anything).