FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Sampler
Old May 1, 2007, 12:25 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
SYDNEY to CAIRNS (SYD-CNS) on Qantas 737-400

I had a choice of flights and chose this one for less rushed connections, avoiding a possible repeat of the hassles I got at Cairns arriving as a domestic passenger on an international flight yet not having entered Australia, and to sample a different aircraft type of 73H. However, with very light loads our aircraft had been substituted with a smaller 737-400.

The food on offer in the lounge has improved significantly since my previous visits. A couple of different soups, cold cuts, cheese, a couple of different salads, pasta, rolls. Being before 1pm the bar isn’t open but water juice tea and coffee are available.

I was catching up on some email and work in the lounge when boarding was called some 35 minutes before departure – much earlier than I expected. At the gate boarding had just commenced. The load was light in economy (and full in business class), so boarding was quick. Ah an early departure is on the cards. Meanwhile out the window I see bags are still being loaded and even some dogs, which proceed to make a lot of noise once put into the hold. Then a delay for the paperwork to be presented and another to get a tug driver. So despite boarding very early we push back late and a short taxi to the cross runway. Having missed our slot we then have a long wait at the end of the runway for several departing and arriving aircraft, eventually taking off more than 30 minutes after scheduled departure.

The 737-400 has convertible seats at the front and I get a bulkhead seat, as usual. The guy next to me clearly hasn't been in these seats or business class before but soon gets the hang of things.

IFE consists of main screen only, plus several audio channels. A movie plays, which takes the entire flight time.

Lunch is offered – salmon with salsa, mashed potatoes and beans; or beef salad. 1 roll, either white or wholemeal. Small green salad. For desert banana flavoured Nice Cream (ice cream). A small selection of drinks – just 1 white and 1 red wine available.

The first part of the flight had little glimpses of the ground below but mostly the cloud cover was complete. Further in the cloud cleared and we saw parched drought stricken farms, major riverbeds with none or little water (or at least none visible from our height). We reached the coast over Townsville, flying past the airport nestled in the city and over the brilliant waters. We had great views along the great barrier reef as we headed north. Many hues in the water, reef and scattered islands. We descend over the valley south of Cairns and over the city centre. A month after my previous visit here I was back, this time in daylight.

The dogs get barking – heard even over the IFE.

The flight time was fast and we made up some of the lost time on departure but still arrived late. A short taxi to the domestic terminal. There was a delay in deplaning waiting for someone to operate the airbridge.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 1, 2007 at 12:37 pm