FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Sampler
Old Apr 28, 2007, 9:22 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
AUCKLAND to SYDNEY (AKL-SYD) on Qantas 767-300 domestic configuration

I arrived at the airport early due to forgetting I wasn't on the super early flight for once. Probably just as well as check in for those early flights had closed. I saw from the screens that 2 Qantas flights were significantly delayed - the one from LAX that continues on to MEL and also the BNE flight. Apparently some business class and sapphire and emerald elite passengers were rerouted on Qantas, some put on Air New Zealand flights, and the rest had a long wait.

The Qantas premium check in facility is near deserted - one agent and a bored looking immigration officer. I pay my departure tax (credit card only unlike most other airlines at AKL). It seems there is some glitch to do with entry to Australia so boarding passes can't be issued. The agent heads off to give Canberra a call to sort it out. About 15 minutes later she is back with a fistful of boarding passes. That is a surprise as Qantas has recently been advertising the introduction (only several years after Air NZ) of same day trans-tasman return check in. I'm not returning the same day.

I'm quickly processed by immigration and so upstairs to the pre-cleared immigration line and security. Again quickly through and off to the lounge where one of my favourite Qantas lounge agents is on duty. I have enough time to catch up on some emails, FT and a bit of work I'd run out of time to finish yesterday.