FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - French Restaurant in Bangkok
View Single Post
Old Apr 28, 2007, 7:12 am
MegatopLover

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Indigo sounds nice. ^^ The wine list seems as short as seemingly everywhere else in Bangkok. That's one of the reasons why I often bring my own from America. Another reason is I really know what I like and it's often things that are hard to find on U.S. winelists, nevermind overseas (where a ridiculous tarriff jacks the price even higher than already absurd super-retail).

On that point, we had a strange experience at Prime, the steakhouse at the Millennium Hilton. They saw that we had brought our own wine (an '01 Dominus, which turned out to be underwhelming), so maybe they didn't show us the full list. But when we were walking out, I had a peak in their wine room, and they had quite a lot of my favorite labels--very impressive, especially for BKK. The portions at Prime were definitely American-sized, except that they didn't offer heart-attack-at-the-table-sized steaks, which was fine. The steaks weren't quite as good as you can get at American steakhouses, but that may be because I'm used to how American beef tastes (no mad cow jokes, please!) and I think I was served Australian. The service was outstanding, which is why the place was recommended to us.

On my next trip, we're going French. (We did Prime because basically every French restaurant in town was closed for Songkran on my last visit.) The F&B director at the hotel we always stay at has put in a strong recommendation for La Vendome (review included on the site linked from my post above), so we'll give that a try. They've got some yummy-looking foie gras on the menu (a favorite of both me and Mr. Megatop), in addition to lots and lots of other tasties. So good, in fact, that we might build our own "tasting" menu by ordering four or five courses from the a la carte menu. I'll try to remember to post comments after we dine there.

Last edited by MegatopLover; Apr 28, 2007 at 7:17 am