FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Documentation for intl. travel with minor child who's not my own?
Old Apr 21, 2007, 1:21 pm
SolSolstice

? minor traveling with grandparents

My son is taking a trip with my parents in late May to Colorado. Because of his ticket being bought after my parents', the airline filed it as an unaccompanied minor (though he is NOT, and I really hope they didn't get charged the extra for it) It was my parents who booked the trip and although they are seasoned travelers, they haven't taken him by themselves before, and they (my parents) seemed overly concerned about him having ID. (He's 11)

Does he need government issued ID? I have his "safe kids" ID that the school issued and it has a picture. And do new regulations require that they have a notorized statement from his father and me stating it's ok for him to travel with my parents? I cannot get a good read why my mother seemed so concerned, whether it was because the airline told her she needed the ID, or because she's just being her usual worrywart self.

Shoot, I think him being an unaccompanied minor would almost be easier at this point, because certainly the last few times he flew unaccompanied, there was no issues about ID or anything. I can easily get him government issued ID as well as the notorized statement, so should I just take the time to do it?