FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Proposal: Creation of new status symbol
View Single Post
Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:45 am
LapLap
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Proposal: Creation of new status symbol

Having followed the recent debate about counting or discounting OMNI comments as post counts that can convey status on a user, it seems to me that the prime concern is that a high number of posts next to a handle may lead a new FT member/user to perceive a false sense of the reliability and 'worth' of that poster's information and opinions.

Almost everyone on Flyertalk has a different level of expertise in different areas (namely different forums), and whilst some go to great lengths in order to ensure the accuracy of their information, the sincerity of their opinions and, importantly, are willing to admit when they are wrong and correct themselves when necessary, others will just carry on blindly and continue to push dubious information.
Not all those who post misinformation have ulterior motives, often some of the most alarming howlers are posted with alacrity and without ill intent.

So my proposal is this:

That each board/forum has the ability to signal its own 'super users'. FTers who have a history and relationship with a particular forum who's posts can be 'singled out' in a modest way in that forum.

It could just be a tick or colour that appears by their handle - nothing sensational, just a quiet vote of confidence by other board users.

Whether this is done by the moderators, or put to the vote once a year by each board's members could be decided by each board. Where a forum has an active community but no moderator, an annual voting thread could be inspected by a friendly mod.

I'm not so sure I'd personally deserve one of these minor 'badges' but I do know people that do. And not having one should not be a matter of concern - it leaves one free to continue to post the humorous and ironic comments one might be appreciated for by FT Peers.

I'd like to think that this idea would be technologically possible, if so, it is something I'd very much like to see implemented - I believe it would solve most of the 'no OMNI post count' concerns that were raised.

(In larger forums a maximum number of 'badges' could be handed out... I'm sure it could get ridiculous otherwise!)

I'd appreciate comments and opinions on this.