FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does Amtrak realize it's too expensive?
View Single Post
Old Apr 17, 2007, 4:23 pm
AlanB
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by iahphx
Does Amtrak realize there's very little personal travel business at those prices?
While Amtrak doesn't and can't decide what's personal vs. business travel, there certainly seems to be plenty of business on the NEC. Almost 9.5 million people boarded an Amtrak train along the corridor last fiscal year. Now it should be noted that many people rode more than once, but still 9.5 million boardings represents some pretty decent business.

In fact, I believe that I just read a story recently stating that Amtrak once again owns just over 50% of the travel market between NY and DC.

Originally Posted by iahphx
It's a shame, because airline-type pricing would make Amtrak useful in the Northeast. Logic would suggest that something like a $50 New York-Philly roundtrip SHOULD be possible. It can't possibly be more expensive to transport people by rail than by airplane, especially in this era of higer fuel prices.
One can ride the rails for a little less than $50 round trip. If one boards a New Jersey Transit train at EWR and connects with a SEPTA train at Trenton, you can do a round trip for $42. So the choice is a more expensive, but more convienent one seat ride, or a cheaper 2 seat ride. Note, the Amtrak ride would probably be closer to $100, if one books early enough.

By the way, let me also add that a small part of the problem that your friend is encountering is also thanks to Newark Airport. The airport which doesn't seem to like trains, insists that New Jersey transit charge an extra $5.50 everytime they pick up or drop off a passenger and the EWR station. Amtrak I believe is required to charge $7 each time. And that money goes directly to Newark Airport, not the rail service.

Without that surcharge, the above trip on NJT/SEPTA would have only cost $31.