FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Comments Welcome: Voting Underway - Travel Photography Forum
Old Apr 10, 2007, 5:21 pm
PTravel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cornroaster
Would this serve only as a photography "Exhibition" or would it also be a place for discussion of photography technology, assisistance and things such as recommendations for a good camera repair shop when on the road?
The forum should be broader than just a gallery. It should be a place to discuss technical issues, but also other aspects of video and photography as they apply to travel, e.g.:

- What are the social norms of different countries with respect to taking pictures of strangers? Some cultures like it (India comes to mind). Others don't (Morocco?).

- What can you do with a picture of a sculpture visible in public? What about a building? Can you post it on FT in the Travel Photography Forum? (the answer is complicated and would probably surprise you)

- How do you pack a camcorder and still camera, a couple of lenses, video tape, batteries and a charger, along with all your other carryon stuff and still meet the weight requirement for some foreign carriers?

- I want to photograph an eclipse. When and where is best?

- What do I do with all these digital photos while I'm traveling?

- Can I get a good deal on a camcorder in Hong Kong? How good are those 15 RMB filters I see in Shanghai?

- How can I video a museum's collection and make it interesting enough that my relatives will want to watch?

- What are the "must photograph" and "must video" sites for these cities taht I'm going to?

- Will the salt air at a beach hurt my camcorder? How about on a cruise? How about in Hong Kong in July?

- A policeman told me that I can't take a photograph on the New York City subways. He's kidding, right?

- I see a lot of FTers get great candid shots of people on the street. How do you do that without attracting attention?

- How did you get that great video right under Niagara Falls without ruining your camcorder?

- What's the best, small still camera for traveling, assuming I want to make nice 13 x 19 prints on my printer?

- What's the best printer for making nice 13 x 19 prints from my small still camera?

- Will the guards at the Royal Palace in Bangkok really rip the film out of your camera if you take a picture inside (Answer: yes, they will!)?

What I'm particularly looking forward to is seeing how different people see the same place. I love Birdstrike's photo competition (if this passes, I'll try to set up something similar for video). I'd like to see the next competition's theme be something like, "Paris" or "Tokyo" or "New York" or "Tuscany." I think it would be fun to see what other FTers think is notable or important at places that we like to visit.

Oh, yeah, and I'm in favor of the new forum, too.