FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Moving to SFO... Bye Bye AMR :(
View Single Post
Old Mar 27, 2007, 3:25 pm
fastair

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
When I moved to the Bay Area in 1998, I contacted UA in order to transfer my DL and/or AA status. They basically told me to start over, ride in the back for a year, and earn status like everyone else. Therefore I stayed with DL and AA (and eventually moved almost all my flying to AA). UA coulda had my business: they refused it.
1998 was I think the most profitable year in UA's history...they could do no wrong. If I recall it was 1.5 billion in profits. There was not a need to give unproven favors to others, when those already loyal to UA wer givinhg record load factors and fares.

The next 2 years, labor issues arose (evebody wanted their share due to the ESOP sacrifices,) and then between bad service (labor/mgmt) terrorism, and slow economy, UA is now doing status matches.

It is best to negotiate when you are in a relative position of power (i.e. bad years for airlines) than from a period when they are in power.

I am sure that UA now would give you your status match!