FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Midwest increases MCI service
View Single Post
Old Mar 6, 2007, 2:06 pm
lebowski2222

Programs: AS,UA
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe2000
The only route I can think of is MCI-EWR. That route was announced at the same time as MCI-AUS and MCI-RSW in the summer of 2002. All service was scheduled to start in November of that year. From what I was told, advance bookings on the EWR flights were so horrible that Midwest yanked the flights before they even started. For whatever reason, they kept AUS around for a few months and it performed terribly. Even MCI-RSW had rather poor results the first time Midwest tried it. Between late 2002 and the spring of 2002, Midwest axed service from MCI to BOS, IAD, ATL, RSW, MSY, OMA, and AUS.

Midwest ran OMA-LAX 2x daily from 1994 to 2001. Once again, the route was hurt financially when Southwest entered the OMA market. It skidded into the red and was cut within a month after 9/11. OMA really never worked-out that well for Midwest. Yet, it wasn't a complete disaster. That honor goes to Indianapolis. OMA-LAX is certainly big enough to support non-stop service. With one flight per day full of O&D passengers, it should do well. Time will tell.
Thanks for the Info Blue - I can't believe YX cut so much service back in 2002from MCI, they must have been hurting badly and luckily they have regained 2nd place marketshare at MCI