FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - W Hotel San Francisco [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Mar 4, 2007, 8:02 am
ldsant
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
W SF - Trip Report - 02.23-26.07

Had emailed the hotel 4 weeks ahead of time as well as having the Plat Concierge call for me as well to ask for an upgrade due to this being a special occasion (first time for my niece to go to SF). The following is a mini trip report of the weekend focusing on the W hotel only.

Arrival:

Bellman was right at the taxi door. Helped us with our bags. Was very polite. Hotel was slightly busy but nobody waiting in line at check-in.

Check-in:

Check-in was fine. Nothing special. No recognition of Platinum status. Did not receive an upgrade (was told later that they were busy that weekend with a convention in the property). Although I had emailed the GM and the concierge, no notes, no mention of anything that I had requested. Apples were available. I'm from WA so a bit of an "apple snob" These were fine; nothing to write home about. (Try Pink Lady or Gala for this time of year )

Room:

27th floor. OK view (loads of buildings, some of the East Bay). Noisy neighbors, small room. Very comfortable, if small (full-size), beds. Window seats are always nice. The bathroom was great. My niece (who is 16) thought the room was fantastic and honestly, that's all that mattered to me

Housekeeping:

Fantastic! Seriously. This property has some of the best housekeeping I have ever experienced anywhere. The room was well maintained, turndown service occurred every evening, Bliss products were replinished without a hassle (take note W NYC! ), and the room was really clean! Ran into the housekeeping staff twice to ask for extra bath towels - no problem, no hassle, VERY pleasant employees (2 different ones). Offered if we needed/wanted anything else. This was a superb point to the hotel.

Room Service

Poor at best. The first evening we had purchased water at the local grocery (since the bottle of water was $8 in the room with no offer of free water amenity to Platinum guest). My niece picked up the glass by the bed to pour some water and handed it to me explaining that she was not going to drink out of it. I am by no means a germaphobe, but this class was, to say the least, filthy. Gross and disgusting are better terms actually. Crusty crud around the glass, looks like it hadn't been cleaned for weeks, etc. (I know we already have a thread about this so I'm glossing over here). Called Room Service to ask for 2 clean glasses and was told "Call housekeeping <click>" I called down to the whatever/whenever desk and asked for the Manager on Duty. It was the same person that had checked us in. T was very apologetic. I went downstairs and took him the glass (he agreed it was gross), apologized again, and offered 2 bottles of water complementary to make up for what had happened. Later a room service person brought up 2 CLEAN glasses to the room. Now that is SERVICE! Honestly it's never the "big" things that make a stay unpleasant; it's a series of little things. But the difference is how the problems are handled. Room Service did a HORRIBLE job; but T did a GREAT job!

Ordered room service the last night we were there (my niece loves getting room service and only has it when we travel together ). I am still apalled at the "service charges, delivery charges, and tip" charges, but understand and know that they are there. We ordered some overpriced and horrible tasting food (the fries were pretty good) and that was the extent of room service. The person who delivered the food was fantastic! He didn't have a badge on so I don't know his name but he was personable, friendly, nice!

XYZ Bar and Restaurant

Three of my friends met us for dinner at my favorite restaurant (Trattoria Contadina) on Saturday night. Afterwards we went to the XYZ Bar for some drinks. The bar was packed downstairs, but seating was available upstairs. I like the cushions, the pillows, etc. Cracked me up that there is a complete book for the drinks they have! I ordered a blue drink, my friends had wine, and cosmos. Service was fine although he never came back to ask if we wanted another drink once ours were finished.

Went to the XYZ restaurant for breakfast one morning (this hotel does not have a lounge or any coupons for Platinum members). The food was poor at best (my niece did not eat more than 2 bites of her $11 pancakes) and service was fair. Never mentioned "can we bring you something else?" Never returned to the table during the meal except to bring the check once asked.

Bliss Spa

I am a spa "junkie" and have the good fortune that my niece enjoys going to the spa as well. Nice pool (lap pool) and jacuzzi. The workout room was small but had good equipment (plus walking the hills of SF gives you the BEST workout anywhere! ). Made reservations by walking down to the spa and was able to get manicures one morning and facials in the late afternoon. The spa was clean. Provided a locker with a robe and flip-flops. Nice sauna in the women's locker room and steam room (although you need a Masters in Engineering to figure it out! ). Better products available in the hotel rooms imo. Nice relaxing/lounging room with apples and small treats along with magazines. One woman was in the room for over 4 hours (she was VERY relaxed! ). The treatments were nice and no hard sell/pushing products which is always very welcomed. As a hotel guest you receive 20% off of whatever products you purchase at the spa.

Checkout

Checkout was proficient. No "thank you" or "have a good flight/nice day" or anything else from the person at the checkout desk. Was able to get a taxi right in front.

Overall Impressions

This definitely isn't my favorite W anymore (had stayed here several times before and really felt the staff was extraordinary). Not sure if they have had turnover, new staff, or just getting an "attitude" but the place just felt "off" in many ways. The one person who really did his best and seemed to care what was going on was a gentleman named Matt. He listened graciously and without interruption. It's disappointing to see how this hotel doesn't really 'stand out' anymore imo. I highly doubt that I would stay here the next time I'm in SF (later this year); it's nothing "big" it's just more of a culmination of things overall.

Last edited by ldsant; Mar 4, 2007 at 8:11 am