FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A330 DTW-AMS in August
View Single Post
Old Jul 16, 2003, 8:24 pm
IndustrialPatent

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by keithguy:
That's debatable. What is so "advanced" about DTW? The tons of DC-9s there? The three station tram?</font>

- I don't know whether or not jimc_usa is trying to express a point, but he's questioned DTW’s status as a NW hub more than once. DTW has always been a large operation for NW (even during the Orient era) and became the airline’s largest hub after it acquired RC. DTW has suffered heavy cut backs post-9/11 whereas MSP has not, thus enabling MSP to catch up with DTW’s flight count… I believe DTW still handles more passengers (for NW) than MSP, though. NW built and financed the new terminal, which is essentially a new airport by itself. Clearly DTW will be the focal piece of NW’s future network.

- What exactly does NW’s equipment have to do with its operation at DTW?! Had the World Gateway been built for AA at ORD, it’d be receiving rave reviews – the fact that it was built in the Detroit-area for NW is its weakest point.

- The WorldGateway is the newest major airport terminal in the USA so it’s not surprising it’s among the most advanced. Clearly it’s not as fancy as Denver’s multi-billion dollar airport (but why should that matter to NW – DTW’s costs per passenger are among the lowest of any major hub airport to the hub airline – DEN is the highest) but in most aspects, it’s just as advanced. And many aspects – like check-in, International arrivals, etc. – are more advanced for the hub airline.

- I like an array of airports… I like MSP – Concourse G – set up for NW’s DC-10 and B747 – is an emblem of aviation past… IAH may be rundown, but IMO the food options are superb. And IAH’s Concourse E isn’t exactly fancy either.