FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Realistic Travel Times
View Single Post
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:30 am
rjque
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlexS
I'm going to San Francisco next week, and I'm hoping someone can help me out with some realistic travel times. I haven't been in a few years, and the last time I was there, I just stayed in the downtown area.

I'm staying in Union Square, but am going to be going to our local office in San Jose, and also Berkley and Stanford.

Does anyone know about how long (realistically) it takes to get from downtown SF to Berkley and Stanford in the morning? Also, it's about 30miles to Stanford, and 15 to Berkley--will taxis go that far? If they will, does anyone know approximately what the fare might be? And, if taxis are a bad idea, does anyone have any recommendations for a car service?

Thanks,

Alex
What time in the morning? That can make a huge difference. For Berkeley, a cab is probably fine as long as you are willing to spend at least $50 for the cab fare. Give yourself an hour during rush hour (7-9:30 or so) and you should have plenty of time to spare. Without traffic, it shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes, depending on how far off the freeway you need to go.

For Stanford, I'd rent a car for the day as it will likely be difficult to get a cab to take you back to the City. Give yourself 1:30 during rush hour and take 280 rather than 101. Outside of rush hour, an hour should be fine as long as you can easily figure out where you are going.

If you absolutely can't be late (a job interview or a court hearing), add 45