FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - History Question about Detroit City, and other former NWA cities
Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:11 am
sbagdon

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
Detroit City airport's runway is too short for mainline jets, but it would be a perfect place for the Airstinker planes to pick up pax and shuttle them over to Metro during peak hours (on bad traffic days, it can take up to an hour on the road to get to DTW from points east of Detroit's main drag, Woodward Avenue).

If Mesaba/Pinnacle/Compass got in there, it'd really be a great boost to the area and DET airport.

Other than the nice thought, I can't image there is any incentive to actually do it.
DET is a wasteland. The only reason it's around is charters, medical, cargo, and GM/DCX. Back in the mid-'80s there was some service (don't remember who), and I did pick up someone many years ago from BWI... talk about great parking! But with DTW an hour away (with all that service), it's hard to justify trying to strike up service in DET.

Not that I wouldn't fly out of there. I do enjoy short-field flights, hence my preference for MDW over ORD (among other reasons!).

Steve B.