Old Feb 20, 07, 12:02 pm
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Four hotel higher levels - Will fly for DEQMs - DL RWT alum
Posts: 1,235
Originally Posted by apirchik View Post
I applied for a tax return directly with the govt agency and for some reason they did not refund my credit card but sent me a check for something like 40 CAD. Now, what do I do with the check? - banks in Israel would take almost all that amount on handling and exchange fees ...
The Canadian Government agency usually sends the check out in the currency of the address / country that you use as a return address/residence. Did you send it in with a Canadian address? I hear the credit card refund is still in the works.

If not, try contacting the Canadian embassy or local Consul General. They may be able to cash it to local currency, or pouch it back for further processing. (Got any friends there that will take a 3rd party endorsement? Donate it to a Canadian synagogue or Canadian charity, endorsed of course?)

I got a no-fee Ukrainian Credit Union account (there are several fee-free credit unions in Canada, especially in B.C.) due to in-laws in Canada, and the need to be able to access CAD$ on travel there. They also have USD$ accounts, so you can transfer funds between each of those two currencies. I'm waiting for online access so I can go PayPal.
flyzabit is offline