FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Promo-Stay 5 times get 5,000 point uo to 15,000
Old Feb 16, 2007, 8:47 am
AX9465

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
Originally Posted by gozetta
LAME, LAME, LAME!!!!!

Pathetic promo. And I thought after the mass devaluation (slaughter) they would have thrown us a bone with a decent promo.
Gozetta, I can not agree more. it is LAAAAAAME.
Whatever being said, and I invite Starwood Lurker to comment, this promotion (5/5 up to 15) is NOT targeted to boost loyalty. Neither it is targeted to boost revenue. Its sole effect would be to produce mattress run.

Let's assume person who wanted to stay 15 nights at $200/night SPG property. If double points are offered, (s)he will probably stay in peace for entire period of time which will result in outlay of 15,500 (2x2 + plat bonus + plat amenity - if points) points + 1 check-in operation and 1 check-out operation. Now, because of this promo, this person have to move every night to different hotels. 15 check-ins, 15 check-outs, 31,500 points AND THE SAME REVENUE - is it me that stupid or I dont understand "guiding principle".

Now on issue of split loyalties: I don't really care whether I am platinum or not. Of course, platinum have some benefits.... but my strategy was always to maximize points.
Rule N1 of getting best promotion was to generate sufficient business and then stop staying at program's properties. My experience only confirms this. I made SPG plat without any promos this year - by doing this I slipped from Gold to Silver in Marriott program. Come Spring and what I see?

SPG: 5,000 for every 5 stays/up to 15,000
Marriott: double points for all stays starting from 2nd stay.
I have 50 nights in March-April across only 4 stays. Guess who'll get my business?

AX