FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - San Francisco Restaurant Recommendations
View Single Post
Old Feb 15, 2007, 10:54 am
brendamc

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Originally Posted by VL83
I have no doubt that you had considerably less than a satisfying evening at the DR of the RC. But, don't rule out another try given the following evaluations of that restaurant: Zagat 27/27/28, Michelin one star (along with the likes of Gary Danko, Fleur de Lys, and Chez Panisse), and AAA five diamonds. And, as I mentioned earlier, my wife and I have dined at Alain Ducasse (in Paris and in NYC), the French Laundry, Gary Danko, among others of that caliber, and put the DR in that league.
Same here, with the exception of Ducasse in NY. And I don't put a whole lot of credence into Zagat (with the exception of their Paris book). I post a lot on Chowhound & DR reviews there seem to be mixed, too. I'd be more than willing to give it a try again, but could never talk my husband into shelling out that much $$ after our last visit! I'll give you some specific reasons - disappearing sommelier, we had to pour our own wine all evening; one of the dishes advertised Maldon salt sprinkled on top, so I asked for a small bowl of it and, about an hour later after asking again, was brought a bowl of what definitely was not Maldon & bore more resemblance to kosher than even sea salt. When I pointed that out, the waiter insisted it was Maldon, which it was not. Service issues like that really get to me when you're spending so much. And again, to be fair, we'd just had dinner at El Bulli, considered by many to be the top restaurant in the world, so perhaps not fair to compare so soon.