FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:18 am
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by EdV
So how much is it now for breakfast? And is it as busy and popular as it was before? It seemed there was always a line out the entrance way even when there was available tables.
I noticed this too...and couldn't figure out why they were keeping people outside and not filling the restaurant. Luckily we arrived before the lines built up and were seated, but I saw this pattern repeated every morning.

Honestly, the breakfast buffet is not worth much over $12, although I think they charge more than that now. We ended up inventing culinary skills to spruce the offerings up abit since it was the same thing day after day. For example, we used the fresh fruit to make our own compote to fill the pancakes...although the flies landing and crawling around the papaya left that option abit less appealing.

If you're planning on spending alot of time away from the hotel, it might be better to get breakfast on the road. In the direction of Waimea, the Kalaheo Cafe offers a good selection of breakfast items that you can eat there or wrap to go. Lihue has the venerable Oki Diner if you're headed towards to the North Shore. To be honest, we often just run through the McDonalds drive-thru to get a quick breakfast rather than waste time waiting at a restaurant. A smaller breakfast leaves room for a plate lunch (check out Koloa Market, Fish Express, Pono Market and Mark's Place for excellent local eats).

Another option is picking wild fruit (make sure you don't pick anything growing on private property) and having it in the morning before heading out. We usually have our fruit before bed, but I guess doing it for breakfast is probably a good option as well. We pick alot of guava, papaya and even passionfruit. We wash it thoroughly, then store it in ice to chill - a true taste of paradise.