FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Connecting Flights at CAI
View Single Post
Old Feb 3, 2007, 2:44 am
Phil the Flyer

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Isn't Thursday the start of the weekend in Camelland?
sunrisegirl - amongst all the wacky posts on this thread your post stands out as a beacon of sensibility. ^

Camel washing indeed! Doesn't everyone know by now that the servants perform those sort of tasks? If there's one thing I hate, when travelling to work at the start of a new work week on Saturday morning, it's mounting a smelly camel (don't get any ideas VC10 Boy).

Smirnoff - with reference to your specific CAI T1 to T2 transfer this is the response I gave someone else in a previous thread:

Although CAI terminals are not physically linked in any way, a taxi transfer between terminals is only a 10 minute exercise, and shouldn't present any problems - apart from arguing the toss with the taxi driver over the fare. It's not worth your blood pressure to get too worked up about the fact that you're probably being ripped-off for an extra US$5.

See the whole thread here:

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=598175

With regards to the transit visa issue, I've never actually done this in CAI (despite landing at the airport well over 100 times now). Worst case - you pay US$15 for a tourist visa prior to T1 Passport Control, clear Immigration, collect your bags, clear Customs, exit the terminal (to be greeted by about 200 no.taxi drivers) and take a ride across to T2. Far less risky than waiting for any transfer bus, worrying about whether your bags will make the BA flight, etc.

I'd recommend a quick trip to a nearby hotel for breakfast, but given the three and a half hour transit time you might not want to risk it. What I would recommend in all seriousness - and you, Smirnoff, will particularly appreciate this - is to empty your bowels and/or bladder on your inbound flight just prior to landing at CAI. The airport toilets are not somewhere you would wish to linger (well, except for VC10 Boy).

I'm afraid the T2 lounges are mediocre at best. T2 has recently introduced some new coffee shop style eateries - they are far cleaner and better looking than the lounges (which are shared by all airlines, one smoking lounge, one non-smoking lounge).

PYOBP is definitely not available at CAI yet.

Should you have a specific desire to get arrested at CAI and thrown in the slammer - this can be arranged at 24 hours notice (it takes that long to round up half a dozen transvestites to share your cell).

Abstract1 - please feel free to PM me if you've got any specific CAI-transfer concerns. Bottom line though is that CAI is extremely tourist friendly - their economy depends upon a constant flow of foreign visitors, so unless you're a drug runner you're going to get a very easy passage through airport formalities.

VC10 Boy - My 10 year old son can operate the Lexus RX navigation system with his eyes closed. Bin the manual and just get stuck in.