FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OT: Bad accident on 401 near Coburg
View Single Post
Old Feb 1, 2007, 9:52 pm
Wrong Way

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by dibby
Yes, thanks for the original post. I commute one day a week from Kingston to Toronto and have been feeling like a wimp for using my Welcome Aboard pass on AC one direction and Via the other since the weather turned wintery instead of driving the 401. I justified it as having time to read and catch up on work - but safety is something to think about.
I understand the sentiment entirely. When I was younger I used to do the drive YYZ to YUL and back without giving it a second thought. About 98 though I suddenly noticed cars scattered through the median were a semi regular thing. Then came the storm in 99. You couldn't see 20 feet and the road edge was completely obscured. We actually came to a standstill on the highway. I moved to the front of the pack and we moved at about 5 kph for a couple of hrs. 2000 was freezing rain and the last time I ever did the drive between Nov and April.

Then I had a chance for a long weekend at home here in YYZ and given the mild winter thought of driving again this am. Had I left YUL at my usual hr I would have hit the accident within a few minutes of the event. Opted for Rapidair instead.

IT bugs and website snafus, missing bags, delays and cancellations aside, Nothing is safer than the airlines.