Old Jan 30, 07, 3:37 pm
kevinsac
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I've never been one to espouse a conspiracy theory -- Bill and Hillary got what they deserved -- but I have often wondered why a proffered benefit is often "withheld."

Many times, I only stay one night. An upgrade to a suite is nice, but if I am at the property for only 10-12 hours, I would rather it be held for someone who can appreciate it more and take advantage of the added space. The 500-point amenity is quantifiable and important to me .... and is something which almost always gets offered without having to ask for it.

But the few times when I have been at a property for a longer period of time, or if I am on holiday and want the room to use as a haven for relaxation, then I will gladly take an upgraded room. And I nicely will ask if an upgraded room is available for Plat members.

Recently, I was at the 4 Points DC. Three hours business, 4 nights at the property. I told the staff that I was glad to be back at the property (hint!); I actually like that property for my purposes of being in town. I asked for a specific room, in which I stayed last time. I suggested that I did not need a suite, but wanted a "larger" room. He offered a club floor room, which I declined.....size was more important than club floor, since I already get the amenities and access. He assigned a "nice" room. When I got there, I was surprised at the small size....I had never seen such a small room at this property. I called down, asked nicely for a larger room "such as 928 or another corner room", was re-assigned to a "really nice room on the Club Floor," which turned out to be identical to the first room.

Long story short.....went to Front Desk again, asked nicely, he told me that no other rooms were available, which, for a long weekend, I was beginning to realize might be true. Just then, the Front Desk manager came over, asked if he could help.....saw that I was a repeat guest and welcomed me.....and then asked if I liked the room I was in last time, because it was available the entire weekend.

...? Why waste my time, play games, not offer what is supposed to be available to me as a Plat, decline my request for a specific room......only to be given that specific room 40 mins later? It's either inadequate training, intentional poor customer service (which I doubt, from what I have seen of most Starwood staff around the world), or a do-not-care attitude. More than anything, I venture to bet the latter, since the computer has popped up with a room number and that's the easiest way to deal with it.