FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buying Luggage in Hong Kong
View Single Post
Old Jan 25, 2007, 1:48 pm
number_6
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by slickalick
Both Samsonite and Rimova are having legitimate sales. In my experience Samsonite in HK doesn't have sales very often. ... As for knock off brands - the best i've seen is a copy of the Swiss Army brand...very high quality stuff (and not as cheap as you would expect being a knock-off)....
I've only passed by the luggage store near the IC (ex-Regent) 3 or 4 times, and each time it had a big sale; I thought it was a Samsonite store (certainly had lots of nice Samsonite), but not sure what it was. Did give the impression of having continuous sales, but I may have just happened on the right dates.

As for Swiss Army, they have a lot of very nice design elements and construction details. I finally broke down and got a Swiss Army (real) backpack for my laptop, and it is *very* well made and cleverly designed. But easy to knockoff. Bought in the US, not in HKG (doubt it would be cheaper in HKG, except for the knockoffs). I'm no fan of counterfeits, and generally avoid them, but the quality of some is astonishing (e.g. many Gucci counterfeits are better made than the original, esp. for low-end Gucci).